Kyoto Highlights
  • HOME »
  • Kyoto Highlights »
  • »
  • rakunan-east-area



It was opened in 1897 and had collected, stored and exhibited cultural properties which are mainly related to Kyoto from the end of the 8th century to the middle of 19th century. It has a lot of national treasures and important cultural properties. The special exhibitions are changed several times a year. A building for special exhibitions was built in French Renaissance style and another building for thematic exhibitions was newly opened in 2014. This museum also has a tea house in it. Site


Tofuku-ji Temple is the head temple of the Tofuku-ji School of the Rinzai-shu Sect of Zen Buddhism. It was built from 1236 to 1255 on the instructions of Kujo Michiie, the great statesman of the Kamakura Era. Although the original buildings were burned down in a series of fires in the 14th century, the temple buildings were rebuilt according to the original plans in the 15th century. This temple is famous for its beautiful maple leaves in autumn. The Hojo-Teien (garden of the abbot’s hall) was laid out by Shigemori Mirei, one of the most famous modern Japanese garden designers. The garden is unique, for it adopts the abstract construction …


In the 12th and 13th centuries, Japan had a series of wars, and people had become tired and nervous, so the retired Emperor Goshirakawa wanted clam their nerves. Then he ordered Taira-no-Kiyomori, the strongest general at that time, to build his temple in 1164. Official name of Sanju-sangen-do Temple is Rengeou-in Temple. Sanju-sangen-do literally means the “hall of 33 spaces.” It is called so because there 33 spaces between the pillars in front of the altar. The main hall is the longest building made in wood in Japan (120m). Inside the hall, there are 1001 Buddha statues called Senju-kannon (Thousand-Armed Kannon), which are surprisingly beautiful. 28 guardian statues and statues …

Copyright © Omotenashi Kyoto All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress & BizVektor Theme by Vektor,Inc. technology.